Friday, January 1, 2010

An Old Storefront That Was Built In The Early 1900’s


"It’s a great sample of a storefront renovation by Tyler Engle - Architect,
the old storefront that was built in the early 1900’s
converted into a cool home for live/work space.''

I have always wondered
about living in this way.
I live near a small coastal town that has quite
a bit of 'quaint' left in it.
It is called Delray Beach, Florida.

The downtown area has more
than a few adorable buildings left in it.
I used to think about opening a design studio
on the first floor and living upstairs.
AND THEN.......
making a roof garden on the 3rd floor.
On the 3rd floor in any of these buildings
you would still be able to see
THE OCEAN!!!

Only one problem....
I am not completely sure that I would like
not living anonymously.
I mean,
it is a small town and people would eventually
get to know that I lived there.
Would I really want to say hello when
I didn't feel like it?

Ummmm....One part of me would love it,
and the other....well, the other part of me
is a recluse.

I would probably have the
'Closed' sign up more often than not.
I would be up on the roof painting,
 listening to music and
ordering in Chinese or Italian.

And you can be certain that
I would have to dress up
 in a disguise to grab a pack of ciggies.

Have you ever thought of living 
above, behind, or below a business of your own?


* The client is a couple with an extensive art collection. Creating the modern equivalent of the traditional courtyard house, the new design is centered on a large skylight over the living and dining room. Reminiscent of a shipping container a wood-clad service core houses the kitchen and powder room. A flexible and multi-functional space is facilitated by large pocket doors, steel plate blinders that hide the kitchen and concealed equipment that pivots out for use. 
Visit: http://www.tylerengle.com/ 
* click here for the article.


Renee Finberg 'TELLS ALL' in her BLOG.....
Interior Design, Palm Beach, Boca Raton,Ft.Lauderdale,Design Service, Window Treatments, TurnKey Interior Design Service,Paint selection, Floor-Plans,Online Interior Design,
Design Center of The Americas, D.C.O.T.A.,Living in a Storefront, The Old Storefront That Was Built In The Early 1900’s
Share/Save/Bookmark